Saturday, March 1, 2008

More of Day 10 - Baltimore

Dave's phone with Google-map abilities is amazing. The Balmorhea car can navigate any foreign city like we own the place. We used that to find a gas station to make the gas light go away, to find a laundromat to remember what clean clothes smelt like, and to meet up with The Trapdoor car. After hanging out in the laundromat, watching the news and chatting, Dave and I met up with Rob and Mike and we shivered our way to a restaurant for dinner. I swear, everywhere we go, it just gets colder. Downtown Baltimore was deserted at 7pm. Hardly anyone was out, probably because they didn't want their faces to freeze as ours were. At least we haven't encountered any sub zero temperatures. This lady from the Northwest Territories told our class once that if you wear mascara in the cold up there, your eye lashes can literally freeze and break off.
scary.
After an hour wait, we sat down and some of us ate. The "Wimpie Burgers" (actual menu title) were a popular choice, Four little 2 oz. burgers. Think White Castle/Krystal burger size a.k.a almost non-existant. After thaat we drove down a bunch of shady looking roads and alleys, places where suspicious business deals of various sorts were probably taking place, and later landed at our destination. This creepy looking warehouse. We stood outside until these nice girls saw the cold in our faces and let us in the lobby where we would wait. and wait.
and wait.

We soon took to exploring. I found the creepiest looking stairwell I've ever seen in my life. My roommate Mon and I love to watch those Ghost Hunters shows. Its a guilty pleasure. and I don't know what I believe. I don't think there's a Biblical explanation for ghosts. But anyway, that was a total ghost hunter location stairwell. An old metal gate had
rusted to an irony faded brown. The beige wall paint had worn away in scattered spots, exposing red bricks. The stairs were stained, and a weird large blacks
mudge sat on the right wall. One florescent light flickered in rhythmic bursts over everything, and lit the way for the hint of a mysterious path.

creepy.

Dave was first to barge through some doors and find the rest of the strange open warehouse. I followed grinning and laughing in a weird "I like to be scared" kind of way. haha. (even though Alison knows I'm the biggest fake haunted house wuss of all time. But maybe I'll tell that story later). When Dave rounded a corner and Michael turned back, I decided I didn't want to be alone in there and went back too. We stood around for about 20 minutes waiting for someone to let us up until we met our guy, went up to the 5th floor to an apartment they like to call The Penthouse for some unknown reason.

It was this huge room! If I were a kid, it would've been a cartwheel, gymnastics tumbling haven for me. The guy that lived there rode by on a scooter a few times, which is totally what I would do if I lived there. This really sassy curious cat was prancing around everywhere sniffing us out. I don't feel like describing the whole room so hopefully I'll get a picture up here. But I will say there was a tire swing hanging on a 11 foot rope from the metal rafters.

-Aisha

No comments: