Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Day 22 - Dallas - March 11

Homeward bound

I thought I'd save my real reflection entry for later, but I'm in the car and in Texas. So there's nothing out the window that I haven't seen before and reading will only make me sleepy.

So here we are. Adam is driving and Alex is reading the finishing chapters of "The Unsettling of America." We're listening to Sufjan. We are homeward bound on I-35 South and it feels so good to know that home is only a few hours away. It's sunny outside! And the fields are so green! AND, here's the best part, it's warm! Oh, you have no idea how glad I am for warmth. I have been in the winter, stood shivering in snow, glided down icy sidewalks, and now know I truly love warm weather.

It's hard to believe that I've lived in the backseat of this car for so many hours. This little nook behind the driver's seat has been my comfort space. The car is a weird kind of "safety", of familiarity, when you're always moving around. But as we were saying last night on the drive to Dallas, when you're away from a physical structure you'd normally call home, you begin to find home in other things, in places, in people.

I don't want to write my final blog about this trip while in the car (despite how fitting it seems). I wrote the very first entry in bed at my apartment and that's how I want it to end.

So don't worry. You haven't seen the last of me just yet.

-Aisha

No comments: