Monday, March 17, 2008

Lookin back

March 17 2008

Someone left a comment asking where my big reflection was. So to whoever wrote that, here it is! Sorry to keep you waiting.

HOME

It's almost been an entire week since I've been back from the tour and I'm still getting used to being home again. My roommate was out of town, so I knew my "home" would be empty for a while. I remember setting my bags down, standing in my apartment, completely alone for the first time in 22 days, and being swept by a feeling so bittersweet. I was back! I was finally out of the car! I was finally on familiar ground. But still, our adventure had come to an end.. Despite sitting in a car for way longer than I would've liked, sleeping in a different place every night annnnd not having seen my best gal friends for almost a month, I loved hangin' out with these guys all the time (I definitely spent more time just hanging out with them then ever before). And I loved playing together so often. I adored being in music with them all. And I say it like I'll never play with them again, which isn't true at all...but probably won't be quite like it was on the road. As tiring as it was, there's something fun and special about playing music together every day. When you're around each other all the time, every day for an extended period of time, it starts to feel even more like family. And I guess I didn't want that little sister feeling to go away with the those days.

I've spent the past hour listening to recordings I made and skimming through the 1,000 plus photos I took while on the road. And still, it only partly feels real. I was driving down lamar the other night, and thinking of how strange it is that such an eventful time would mesh in my memory into this squished stream of memories, slowly melding into one. Someone asked where I was on a certain date, when I went here or there, and I can't separate anything. And still, when people ask me how the tour went, what was the most fun, or how I felt, it's hard to spit out more than tired generalities. But there's no way to explain a 22-day adventure in a few phrases.

No comments: