Sunday, August 24, 2008

Aug. 23 - Homecomming

3:34am and I'm at the computer.

That's my own fault though. I thought I'd write a little before going to bed. Tonight we were probably the earliest we've been to any show on the whole tour and it was in the city we live in! We showed up at 7 sharp, buut Emo's decided the show was going to start at 10:45 instead of 9. Ugh. Lots and lots of waiting around, and after nearly 16 straight shows, I was pretty tired of the hurry-up -and-wait game.

I had some pizza across the street at Stony's(?), spent some time with Nicole and her boyfriend, and then went back to sitting around in Emos. It was nearly 10:30 and there weren't that many people there...

But you know, we were all so tired from touring, I'm not sure any of us really cared. We agreed that it feels weird to be home again. I sat down after my 2pm "breakfast" today and didn't really know what to do with myself. I think just need a couple days to adjust.

The line up included Bexar Bexar, Mom and us. I sat up on the floor near the stage to watch Brian & Taylor. Bexar Bexar sounds extra awesome in there. The bass is turned up so much that you can literally feel the rumbling move through you. It's crazy.

The Balmorhea set was well received. Set list: Elegy-San Soloman- New Banjo song - Limmat - New Piano song - Harm & Boone - New Acoustic song -Settler. I don't think it's the best we've ever done, and half way through I started second guessing myself...but I've realized that I'm pretty hard on myself all the time musically. And if people enjoyed it then that's the point, right?

It was nice to have friends in the audience again and to be on familiar ground. I was ready to get back home, sprawl out on my couch and eat an extremely late dinner. I walked briskly back to my car, starring at the sidewalk to avoid eye contact with drunken strangers. I was in a little bit of a tired funk, but was brought to laughter by a voice from a person delusional enough to think his cat-calls from a car window would make any kind of difference. Some people are so confident. It's amusing.

And now, I'm ready to draw this to a close. People did show up by the way, I dont think I ever mentioned that. And now the tour is done! The van actually made it back in one functional piece. That's...amazing! We are all healthy and good. And in seven months, through two tours, I've manged to make it to over 28 states, 24 of which I'd never been to before. I've been acquainted with so much of the country. This is such a cool way to see America. It's all a gift to me.

I've gone on for far too long. Maybe I'll post some sort of reflection later?

until then,
-Aisha

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

glad you're back friend. sorry i cried in your car :(