Saturday, August 9, 2008

Day 3 - Night of the Show! - Winning Coffee


DAY 3 - AUG 8 - THE SHOW!

I don't know if you noticed, but yesterday was 8-8-08. That's only gonna happen once people. I hope you made the most of it and celebrated the day appropriately. Megan suggested saying 8-8-08 eight times fast. I think that counts,

So the show was as at a coffee shop called Winning. We cleared the tables and chairs and a good number of people filled the space. Lots of high school kids showed up for whatever reason and loved the show. The sat on the ground pretty near to us, some literally at my feet (sometimes actually kicking me...a little too comfortable I'd say). Anyway, I thought that was cool. I like when the divisions between musicians and audience are broken down. There are so many ideas that are communicated simply in manner that concerts are set up. The lights tell you where to look, who to pay attention to and when. Putting musicians on a platform literally above everyone else creates this feeling that they hold some power over listeners...And I'm not sure if that's true. It's definitely a symbiotic relationship. Distant crowds make performers feel awkward just as much as uncomfortable musicians can spread their unease. Two way street.

Anyway, I'm rambling again. The room was packed and the crowd was into it, however the PA system wasn't great to say the least...It wasn't capturing the low end of things very well at all and the strings were sort of muffled beneath guitars, drums and a scrambled piano sound. But despite that, we stayed together well and definitely did the best with what we had. Annnd people liked it. The grey Balmorhea shirt was beginning to look like a uniform of some sort, I kept seeing it around so much.

After we played, I walked down the road to eat dinner with Alex Dupree, Austin Dupree, and Sara Dyer! I was so glad to see them! I was feeling a little weird right before we played and seeing those guys turned that around. It's fun seeing friends from home when you're far from it.

No comments: