Sunday, April 26, 2009

Friday - april 24 - madrid

There is just too much I could say about the next few days. Yet again, I am attempting to play catch up. And, yet again, it's wearing me out a little bit. But! here goes:

Friday- April 24. Somehow, we managed to all get up and out on time. We had some breakfast and watched some very sophisticated music videos on TV including "I want you" by Savage Garden and "Hot & Cold" by Katie Perry...yeah.

After our shortest drive yet (2.5 hrs), we pull up to what looks like a semi-deserted part of Mexico...I'll admit I was expecting something a little flashier for the one Spanish city everyone said we must go to.

Nevertheless, we walk inside and are immediately assaulted by the smell of fresh paint. There are guys on ladders hanging lights. There are guys running around yelling in Spanish at a dizzying pace. And then, there is us: six really confused and admittedly slightly startled Americans who are wondering where the hell they are about to play.

The mood was a bit tense through our soundcheck. And it wasn't until the doors opened and people filled the room that I was convinced things were going to go well. However, before then, we met some great people. Ora Cogan and everyone from Icy Demons were so friendly and nice to be around. Bruce, Nicole and I went for a walk with Ora to a nearby park and got some much needed air. Afterward, all three bands hung out and enjoyed the free food in the greenroom until things started going on stage.

Everyone's set went really well. The crowd seemed really enthusiastic about Balmorhea. They were clappers too, perhaps rivaling the Don Benito audience. Spain, man, they know how to clap with some gusto here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?hl=es&v=9HrxRuXWB_8&gl=ES

After the show, we stayed with our promoter in her ridiculous apartment. so big! Girls had their own bed. Great sleep. Good night.

1 comment:

Danyelle Sawyers said...

hey i saw you today! on youtube. cool. i miss you friend. send me a postcard from scotland when you get there. i've been keeping up and if i'm correct you haven't hit scotland yet. I MISS YOU!!! oh, and I finished blue like jazz.