Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Wednesday - Rome show!

! I think it finally may have just set in that we just played in Rome. Rome!! Things are so old here! haha. And the streets are incredibly narrow. Never before have I wished for the vehicle containing my body to morph into a smart car. This is why I will never drive the van in Europe.

We travel around in this behemoth of a van and have to shimmy down streets made for pixies. We (and no joke here) literally drove through one of the archways of an ancient Roman Aqueduct... !! An Aqueduct!! Why are there even roads through those? One wrong turn or slip of the hand and boom, there goes ages and ages of history! AGH! But I guess when a city this ancient grows this large, you have to forge the new right up against the very, very, VERY old.


We arrived safe and sound, thanks to Michael's skilled maneuvering (no thanks to the crazy, erratic Italian drivers). And after one of the longest, most frustrating soundchecks of my life (but really, any sound check that delays dinner becomes quickly frustrating...), we got to play a really, really fun show. I'm not sure that I'd say it was better than last night's performance in Carpi (we've been recording our shows and critiquing them), but my gosh the energy was awesome. I'd say this was our biggest European crowd yet! Maybe 250? No se. The crowd went back pretty darn far. And they were so excited!

We played our encore, then headed out to the merch booth were we sold (and autographed) an unbelievable amount of records! Twas pretty incredible! I am still blown away when people react like this, so warm and gracious and thrilled. It was awesome. Then I thought of how much the way you feel about a performance hinges on the crowd's reaction to it all. You could play some strange things, but if after walking down from that stage to mingle with people who couldn't be more pleased and ecstatic, you can't help but feel like you've done something right.


Our promoters fed us a great dinner with a feast of backstage breads, fine cheeses, fruits, crackers, and wine. And now, we're all nestled into the hotel they booked us for the night. Europe definitely does it right. It's 3am and finally feels like bedtime. Kendall just turned in. Dylan's watchin movies I believe. And I'm here in my little Ish corner, interneting like a mad woman. Life as the only girl on the road ain't half bad, if you were wondering.

till next time,
-aisha

2 comments:

Alex said...

ROME!! Such a wonderful place.

Danyelle said...

I know that guy in the picture by himself! And by "know" I mean, "met."

Your blogs always make me want to embrace life more. Starting...NOW! That was cheesy, but whatever!