Saturday, September 10, 2011

Texas!


Sept. 9

Dallas! At long last we made it back to Texas. After sleeping in at Mike's Dad's house, and eating scrambled eggs (18 to be exact) prepared by Mr. Kendall Clark, we loaded up and were on our way to Deep Ellum.

Club Da Da hosted a festival presented by Spune. Six bands, two stages, free stuff. why not? Today was one of those days where I wish I'd done some sort of time stamped journal, so when people get jealous and imagine that every moment of being on tour is thrilling and glamorous I can show them what happens most days. We loaded in at 2:30, and had a doozy of a soundcheck. I think we tapped out at about 5:15. Then we proceeded to undo half of what was just done, to make room for the three bands playing before us (this is way more frustrating than it sounds). We walk down the street to dinner. Eat entirely too much food. And then it's 7 o'clock...and we aren't scheduled to play until 11:30. awesome.

So what do we do? Grab a beer. Sit around. Twiddle our thumbs. The boys seek out Baseball on the TV and find it. I groan and wine and scoff. When they are huddled around the screen so enthralled, captivated--mesmerized one might say--in a sport that woos my attention for no longer than a meager 10 seconds, I am blatantly reminded that I am the only girl among 6 dudes. They watch. go on walks. And I wander. Somehow, after watching a couple sets, chatting and warming up, 11:00 rolls around.

We set up quickly did a short sound check and played the show and it was great!! The crowd was big and so excited. We all played super well. We've put together a pretty "rockin" set, as Andrew would say. Something like: Settler, Clamor, Coahuila, Night Squall, Candor, Harm and Boon and two new untitled songs. f.u.n. Everything sounded awesome from what I could hear. And people were hollering, un-bashfully cheering and seemingly having a blast.  Now tell me, what more can you ask for?

photo by Clare Dempsey.

No comments: