Monday, October 22, 2012

Casper, WY


I had the kind of sleep that feels like it happens during the blink of an eye.  We went to bed at 3am and I slept until the very last possible moment.  At 8:50a, I sat up, got dressed and sleepily hopped into the van.  

Lots of caffeine, day dreams of food, and five hours of driving led us to Casper, Wyoming!

We held a free Balmorhea workshop for music students.  About 50 Middle school through college aged students, mostly string players, showed up.  It was the first time we'd ever done such a thing, but it was so fun!  We sat in a line on stage around all our instruments and talked about what we do, what touring is like, and told our stories of the wayward way we became members of this band.  We talked, they laughed at our jokes, it was great.  

In the second half of the session, the kids who brought or borrowed instruments to play came up to the stage and we taught them pieces of "Masollan," a track from our new record "Stranger".

..The story I told the kids was about how some of the most fulfilling musical experiences I've ever had were completely unexpected.  

I can very surely say that I never expected to be leading 20 violinists through a violin part I'd written in a house by a river a year ago!





I've taught a hand full of lessons in my life, but never a large group--it was so fun!  And the kids were so excited.  They picked it up fast.  And then, with Dylan leading the cellos, Travis leading the basses, and Mike working with an electric bassist, we all played along with Rob on guitar.  So thrilling for us, and definitely a day I'll never forget.




After a dinner break, we played a show open to the public and had a lovely time.  Bunches of the kids came back and brought their parents and it was pretty sweet to talk with older adults about the same music that 20 somethings and teenagers get excited about.

Music.  I'm completely and forever enthralled with this language. 

3 comments:

David Chapman said...

What a great idea! I hope this becomes a regular feature of Balmorhea tours.

Gabby said...

Awesome!! You look like such a natural.

Alex said...

This is so so cool!!