Saturday, January 12, 2013

New Orleans!





Thursday night we played at The Circle Bar.  First show of the tour.  First performance as a touring solo act.  Somewhere in a song, my mind let my body play and sing while it floated to some other plane of thought.  Somewhere amongst the drunken chatter, the clack--hiss of beer cans, the silhouettes of friends in my periphery, and the three empty bar stools facing me, I re-realized that all of this--even the frustrating elements--is a part of whatever musical life it is that I've subscribed to.

I feel different, sitting up there alone.  Its different when its your voice swirling around the shouts of people who hardly realize there's a show happening around the corner. Its sort of uncomfortable, but you play anyway.  Somewhere along the line, people came in and they stopped.  I watched a guy freeze like he'd hit some sort of invisible wall.  He turned to face me, and stayed through the set's end.  By the time I was done, a decent little crowd of faces I'd never seen before stared back at me.  Small victories!

Noisy bars are just part of it sometimes.  And that's absolutely okay. 

The Idyl set was strong and loud and fun.  This was the first time that many of these songs were played with a full band and came together quite well.  These guys are all so talented!  Pumped for the next set!  

Atlanta Tonight!   1593 Rogers Ave.  A House show celebrating Elements of the Field on Vinyl. 

No comments: