Thursday, January 17, 2013

Richmond, VA. The Camel. photo by Andrew H.

There was a point when I thought I'd be able to thoroughly catch you up on all the shows we've played that this blog has failed to mention, but my friends, that hope is long gone.  I'll just keep telling you stories until I'm nearly asleep.

Friday morning, after the Atlanta show, we woke up, drank coffee, ate oatmeal, ate scrambled eggs generously made by Drew, loaded up the van and drove away.  Hours. and Hours away.  Before I realized I'd committed the most annoying/most atrociously rookie tour foul ever.  …Ya know, sometimes when you're three and a half hours down the road, sometimes you get a phone call informing you that you left all your clothes in the last city.  ALL of them.  Winter scarf. Winter socks. Sweaters. Pajamas. Underthings. Toothbrush!  UGH.

After realizing that overnighting my backpacking bag wasn't going to be an economic decision I'd be proud of later, I decided to embrace my luck.  Amelia, a lovely gal visiting the folks we were with in Atlanta happened to be driving back to Nashville that same day and was planing on catching our show there any how.  The godsend agreed to take my clothes and sleeping bag with her and deliver it to me at the show. ! incredible.  Tomorrow is that glorious day.  But I haven't' been roughin it too terribly at all.  We stopped at a Target in Charlotte and I bought a couple sweaters, pajama pants, socks and such.  I've been wearing the same two shirts for the last four days but honestly, its sort of liberating to traipse around living out of a plastic target bag.

Charlotte show was nice.  Saw our friends Adam and Doran (whose couch I'm writing from at this very moment!).  Played after Lindsey Ryan.  She writes lovely songs.  The next show was in Richmond, VA, and was probably one of my favorite nights.  Good sized, silent, responsive crowd for both Idyl and me.  I opened for The Moonbees and The Greenboys, two local bands who were all so incredibly friendly and supportive.  Meeting great people all over the world is hands down one of the best parts of this whole thing.  It's funny how music is the reason you end up on the road in the first place, but its such a tiny, tiny fraction of what you actually do in a day.  Fun crowd, awesome sound at The Camel and gracious hosts afterward.  Not too shabby at all.

After all of that goodness we drove up to Washington DC.  But perhaps I'll save those tales for another time.  Tonight we played Chapel Hill and it was incredible.  I've been "home" (At Dorans--she's working the night shift and let us take over her house) for the last hour or so and we're getting up quite early for our eight hour drive to Nashville.  If I know whats good for me--and I usually do--I'll stop here and call it a night.  This thing is winding down!  Just four more shows before I'm back home again, probably counting the days until I get to leave again.  I am turning into some sort of traveling fiend! But, there are probably worse ways to be, right?

g'night till next time.

1 comment:

Beans with Garlic said...

I just want to say how much I enjoy reading your blog! It is like hearing you talk, which is good because both Caitlin and I miss you. Keep on keeping on and rolling out the good times.

big hugs,

Adam + Caitlin