Sunday, February 24, 2008

Day 6


Hello hello

We are sitting inside a very southern looking house in the quiet of Greenville, South Carolina.  It's near the campus of Furman University and I think everyone that lives here attends school there.  It's so nice.  There are tall white columns in the front, complete with a porch and rocking chairs.  Inside, there are hardwood floors everywhere, a big kitchen, about 4 or 5 rooms upstairs annnd an upstairs kitchen too!   The backyard is an open field.  I pet a horse for the first time.  Then he tried to eat my hair.  When he realized I was empty-handed he became uninterested and walked away.  

It's so pretty here!  Very green. Lots of open space.  I laid outside and stared into the clouds for a good while.  You can see the mountains around and its a nice departure from the flatness of old Tejas.  Today was the first day in a long time that we actually saw the sun.


Vista house landscape 1

Adam's sitting nearby reading and I think Dave is headed outside to write a bit.  Alex is outside on a hammock reading, and Rob and Michael are in the kitchen.  I think they're sipping on some tea that the woman from 11:11 Teahouse made and gave to us called "The Balmorhea Blend."  

Well...I don't think I've got much more to say.  The drive from Atlanta to Greenville was pretty short and that was nice.  Before we left, we had brunch at this little place in Decatur, Georgia (which is just outside Atlanta.  San Antonians, think SA-Alamo Heights, or SA-Helotes.  Austinites, maybe Austin-Cedar Park?)  That was a neat spot.  Dave pointed out all the real estate signs about.  Like Austin, it seems like people are moving toward downtown to live.  

I hate pointing out racial things, but there were so many cool looking black people at that diner. lol.  Sorry, I notice these things.  This girl had this mohawk thing going on, but it was all dreaded.  Lots of women with dreads, some with dreads and piercings.  They seemed artsy.  Maybe writers or poets or artists or maybe I'm just making assumptions.  Growing up, I've just never seen that a lot.  I've seen the stereotype and being a person that's never fit ANY black american stereotype, I've struggled with that and gotten a lot of crap for it.  But what I'm trying to say I guess is that I was just glad to see that other black people are "different" too.  

Anyway, I digress...I think I've got some pictures to share.  I added some to the older posts.  So take a gander and enjoy :)
-Aisha 

1 comment:

Grub Street Bums said...

I hate how I know the exact places youre talking aboot. I loathe infonxx for that talent. So I was just wondering of you found a house slave named Mamie inside that plantation home? Or Scarlet OHara ,for that matter.