Friday, March 7, 2008

Day 15 - March 4 - Columbus

(note: I'm ridiculously behind...I know. The days are crazy. crizazy.)

I haven't felt like writing too much lately. It kind of feels a little burdensome to try and encompass everything that happens all day. But I'll give you the most important parts. We stayed with a couple of that Mike's friends with in Columbus. It was fun to be in another awesome house again. They had this gorgeous dog that, unlike the first dog I encountered on the trip, actually seemed to like me. She was this really pretty greyish blue color, pretty energetic, and loved sleeping on and or next to people on the couch. All night I could hear her breathing a little too close to my ear. A little weird, I'll admit. But she was fun company. She's also the only dog I've encountered that is on an all-fish diet. She's allergic to everything and the kept chewing on this sting-ray tail bone thing. Also a little weird. But VERY smelly. I dont know why I'm telling you about this dog. You don't care. Lets move on.

So the show was okay...It was pretty empty in that bar. And when a crowd of people finally showed up, they had just come from another show and were pretty drunk. And drunk in a bar = loud. Having a huge crowd of inattentive people is never fun to play against. Balmorhea missed most of it. CJ's set started in the quiet and then the bar murmur turned into annoying bar rustling, to plain bar noise. Some crazy guy started shouting in the middle of Alex playing "The Holy Mountain" so he stopped and shouted back at him in perfect mimmickry (yeah, just made up that word) and then casually continued the verse.

Needless to say, that guy stopped shouting.

I love that we're all playing in each other's bands. CJ played a couple of Trapdoor songs, and Rob made a guest appearance on one of CJ's songs. That was pretty awesome. Who knew accordion and bass could mesh so well together. Before CJ, who knew that bass could be so captivating as a solo instrument. I love getting lost in the interplay between all the layers he creates. It's kind of a trance thing for me.

So after putting up with the severely annoying bar crowd, weee pretty much got paid zero dollars. BUT when we walked out of the club, we got to see our cars covered in snow and were welcomed back to Lonie and Kate's house with tacos. Scrumptious and much anticipated 3 am dinner. Awesome.

No comments: