Friday, August 15, 2008

Day 7 - Aug. 12 - Tuesday

After waking up in San Francisco and making a breakfast stop at a bagel shop, we headed for the van. Oh, I thought this was noteworthy: While walking to the bagel shop, this homeless man walked up to us and said, "hey, can you spare $150,000?" and then burst out laughing (in a non-creepy way). We laughed with him and kept walking.

I don't remember much about the drive. All I can recall about this day is the extreme weirdness that is Eureka, California, the place we played. It seemed normal at first. We went to a restaurant with pretty good food. Then I noticed the giant, fake, fuzzy spider (with teeth) they had rigged to move up and down with the opening and closing of the door. Then I saw the other creepy Halloween leftovers scattered about the room and wondered what was going on. The place wasn't themed beyond that. Maybe they just really like Halloween. Or maybe they were trying to warn us that Eureka is pretty freakin weird.

Then we got to the venue, which also seemed normal at first. RIGHT after we walked in, some creepy guy pretending to be a gangster though he was white, made some kind of atrocious pick-up line and sauntered over to Nicole. Then, he comes outside to help us unload our things, and kisses the hand of Jesy (of Tiny Vipers) and does this all very casually, as if it is normal to be this forward and weird to complete strangers. I think its interesting when such people are so self confident.

We got there pretty early so we played pool and watched the Olympics to kill time. I got carded TWICE in the course of the evening, and BOTH times I wasn't even trying to buy a drink! I was just sitting around. I know I look like I'm 15, but gosh, it's still annoying to be questioned all the time...

I can't recall everything that made this night weird, just that it was "full" (full = 6 people) of people who seemed incapable of a normal interaction. Every conversation I had / overheard was just completely strange. Including the sign in the womens' bathroom that said "cameras for graffiti and surveillance only."

The show..was interesting. Their PA wasn't great and there was only one monitor and it was back by the drums...Yeah. Afterward, somehow, we broke into singing Miss Ohio...to ourselves. lol so weird. Actually, there is more I could say, but honestly, I'm writing this about 4 days later.

I do remember that we drove through the night, through the mountains to try to get closer to Portland...It was a long, windy drive. Wish I'd slept through more of it actually. It was kiiiind of crazy.

BUT we made it, stayed at a hotel, woke up late and headed to Portland.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to use that $150,000 line sometimes. These are great, keep em up!