Friday, April 17, 2009

Wed. April 15 - THE SHOW

The show was great. Our newest German friend, Ena, who worked at the cafe came and hung out with us! She's so nice. We played in an art gallery/cafe/bar. Peter Broderick was there with his friend Nills and together they opened for us. Nills was great. He played solo piano pieces, which Mike said were all improvizations on a theme. Our set went pretty well for an opening show. People were so quiet and attentive! It's nice to play to silent crowds in quiet spaces because I feel like so much of our music values the interaction between silence and sound. It definitely needs a silent canvas for it to work in the best way...but thats just my opinion of course. Playing wise, I felt a little rusty and things weren't 100% spot on, but it was a solid start. The crowd was really into it. They clapped forever, even after we'd walked out of the room. No, there was no encore. By the time we'd decided to possibly go back, they'd given up. Perhaps tomorrow.

The post show hangout included all of us, plus Peter, Nills and our promoter Patrick, who was incredibly nice. We sat outside and drank free beer (as much beer and food as we desired on behalf of the venue! so nice!), talking, laughing, wikipedia searching whether hamburgers really had anything to do with Hamburg. You know, things like that.

Later I got up to go inside, stuffed my hands in my jacket pockets, not knowing I was about to do something very stupid. I walked up to the stairs, where a few guys were sitting, the cold and my shyness burying my chin down into my jacket. I walked staring at the ground, not knowing I was about to do something quite embarrassing. I took two steps up to the giant glass sliding door that, in my defense, had been open ALL day, and well, it went something like this: step, step, SMACK!! Yup. That's right. I definitely walked very swiftly into a giant glass door. And I definitely had a giant unicorn knot on my forehead to show for it. The guys on the stairs who saw it all grabbed my hands in concern, asking if i was okay. I laughed, explained that I didn't realize it was closed annnnd then laughed the whole way to the bathroom. Nicole was sweet enough to come check on me and make sure I didn't have a concussion...apparently it was pretty loud. !! I can't believe I did that! I walked back outside, dreading 8 guys laughing at me for being like those oblivious birds on the Windex commercial. I took a bow, continued laughing, showed off my unicorn horn and all was fine. What is it with me creating memorable moments on the night of the first show on tour?? in August, it was the Miss Ohio singing incident. This year, it will definitely be, hey remember that one time Aisha walked straight into that glass door?!"

We went home, Peter and Nills stayed over and we all hung out for a while before calling it quits. Nicole and I had some sleepover style, girl chit-chat time in the dark before falling asleep. I can't believe we still have 30 more days of this. I still can't believe I'm on the other side of the world...

No comments: