Saturday, May 16, 2009

May 17 - Germany

It's 3:43am and I'm still up! I've lasted much longer than I thought in this attempt to stay up all night. I'll wake up at 7:15 in order to be outside waiting for our airport shuttle by 7:45. If I can keep my eyes open till 4:15 I'll be a satisfied lady.

We killed some time in the van the other day be making a list of our favorite places, people we've met along the way, sayings, etc. But for the past week I've been making a mental collection of the things I've missed about home and am ready for again:

1) FREE WATER. They really get you over here in making you pay for tiny glasses of water that play no part in helping you adequately hydrate yourself.

2) STILL WATER. I'm tired of water "with gas," or mineral/carbonated water. nope. I just want the good stuff. normal, still water. I kept forgetting to ask for it. And just a word of advice, don't try and soothe a mouth burning from spicy Thai food with mineral water. You will regret it. I Promise.

3) feeling literate. It is so strange to walk around and not be able to understand anything around you. I will be so excited to know exactly what I'm getting myself into when ordering food.

4) sun & warmth. It wasn't freezing in most places by any means, but oh how I love shorts and tank top weather. I'm ready for it.

5) bikes. My poor neglected little bike. I've done nothing but sit and eat for over 30 days. My body needs about 50 bike rides stat.

6) Paper > coins! Euro coins: efficient in size. Annoying in weight. I somehow amassed over 6 Euro in assorted coins. To use some tour lingo that will indeed seem stupid in about a week: that was not a tight goat.

7) breakfast tacos. Guys, you have no idea how much you love those things until you can't have them. El Chilito is pretty magical in my mind right now.

4:11am and 7% battery power left on the laptop. Sounds like bed time to me!

See you in Austin,
-Aisha

No comments: