Sunday, May 10, 2009

May 8 - New Castle, England - Day Off


And we drove all day and then we drove some more.

..okay, not entirely. We thankfully had no need to drive through the night, but it felt like we were in the car forever. But the length of drive was redeemed by the scenery. We took the road that followed the coast, and I've never seen anything like it. The edge of the North Sea seemed to go on forever and yet again, I completely understood how people once thought the world was flat. It looked like you could sail right off the edge.



After a stop at the remains of an ancient castle (the sign neglected to share the year, just that it was ancient...thanks, sign), and sheep and cows a plenty, we arrived in New Castle, England at the Travelodge Hotel. It felt great to lay around and eat lunch free. Well, sort of...I had a peanut better and nutella/jelly sandwich and watched a very predictable old Jennifer Aniston movie with Nicole. What, our options are limited with hotel channels, okay? It was either that or pushing myself closer to death by watching an interview with Lady GaGa, who claims her inane pop music is too much for the Americans who "don't get it." I watched about 2 minutes of her live concert. I'm not sure what anyone could misunderstand about the chorus "I'm hot...and dirty rich."

Anyway, lastly, we had a night at the theatre...the movie theatre and watched the new x-men movie. Horrible, horrible effects and a few tired super-hero action flick lines like "lets do this," but I'll shamelessly admit that I was entertained. Poor Rob, who had been talking for days about wanting to go to the movies, was feeling too sick and didn't get to go. Theatres in England are pretty much like ours, except you have to pay 1 euro extra for seats with headrests and cup holders. How silly! Anyway, not a bad way to spend a day off if ya ask me!

-aisha

1 comment:

Alex said...

I was just reading a book that talked about New Castle! It was a smutty historical fiction novel about Queen Elizabeth I and her first lover. It was great. Don't judge me.