Sunday, May 10, 2009

May 9 - Ferry ride

Trust me, there is so much I would love to say about that Ferry ride. Ferries are incredibly weird places to me. But it's currently after 1am (I'm writing this retrospectively of course), and we have to get up in about 8 hours, which luckily for me, is just the amount of sleep my body is craving.

I will say this much though:

-Leaving England is so much easier than getting into it! It took approximately 2 minutes to get through the little boarder check thingy (great vocab, I know), but it did take over 30 minutes to drive aboard the ship.

-The cheapest thing to eat in the ferry's four restaurants cost 14 euro. That's what most of us ate, if you were wondering, and it was only kind of good. Probably the most bland burger I've ever had.

-Oh man, this awesomely out of place latin band was playing in the main bar before an empty dance floor with hyper-active multi-colored party lights and a lonely disco ball. It was so bad, I had to take several pictures. They were smiling and dancing and the guy playing guitar had this crazy goatee that was twisted into an incredibly fine spike. So strange! especially since no one was dancing, or paying any attention. I sympathized with them for a minute and felt so awkward for them. poor guys.

-It seemed like people from many different countries worked on the boat...and they were all pissed off. Who knows why! Maybe it's annoying to watch everyone else having fun, drinking over-priced drinks, and getting full on over-priced food while you're stuck on the clock. Or maybe it just sucks being on a boat every day. who knows, but I wanted to give some of them hugs.

-They had bingo on the boat. bingo and so many gambling opportunities. (which I did no seize, if that's what you were wondering)

-tons of old people. Apparently, you can take a short trip to Holland for a few hours and then ride the same ferry back. I think thats what a tone of these older people were doing. That, and singing in a pretty sweet choir. I should've taken video. They gathered in a lobby and sang together. Pretty great.

-we all squeezed into the girls cabin and watched Tim and Eric episodes and Are You Afraid of the Dark on Bruce's computer until we were sleepy.

- Sleeping on the Ferry is not fun a) when the boat is vibrating b) you are me and you do not greatly enjoy boats. c) when you can hear way too much about the on-goings of the people the cabin next to you...and that's all I will say about that.

-The Sea at night under a full moon is amazing. I'm not sure I'll ever see the moon reflect off the water the way it did.

No comments: